Re: iPAQ car-mount options?

Thanks Dave,

Sounds like you have a seperate GPS unit? - I have the NavMan Jacket, so
locating it seperately from the iPAQ isn't an option.. The jacket has a
128MB CF card in it with the entire UK's maps on it, but it has no power
connector, so I have to:

- Get in car,
- Remove iPaq from its pocket sleeve,
- bend navman's gooseneck down
- slide iPAQ into navman Jacket
- Bend gooseneck back up
- connect the USB/power connector to the bottom...

Removing it is the reverse, except that the "grip" between the
iPAQ and the
navman jacket is greater than the grip between the jacket & the
gooseneck,
so invariably I have to lift the whole assembly off the gooseneck still
docked, slide the iPAQ & the jacket apart, then put the jacket back on
the
gooseneck...

I would like to make the whole process simpler, and also make the
installation tidier, - the power cable is the standard Navman supplied
cigar-lighter one that plugs in down by the handbrake, snakes around the
gear lever, up the middle of the dash, and then hangs over the top of the
hands-free phone cradle when not in use... I'd like (in the new car) to fix
the power cable out of the way somewhere (inside the dash?) so that it just
pops out of the dash right where it's needed. - I'd also like to change the
double-connector arrangement if possible, as the cigar-ligher power lead
terminates in a 3.5mm (?) barrel, & I then have to use the extra
adapter
that came with the iPAQ to convert that to the propietary USB/Charge
connector on the bottom of the iPAQ...

Anyone know if a car cable is available that terminates in the right plug
for the iPAQ wothout having to use the adapter?

TIA

Paul G.

(PS. - still like to see your pictures though...)

>From: "Dave McLaughlin" <dave@xxxxxxx>
>To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [ukha_d] iPAQ car-mount options?
>Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:12:56 +0100
>
>Hi Paul,
>
>I built my own from some ally plate and an old Ipaq expansion pack that
had
>a duff battery. I picked this up on eBay for £10 I think it was.
>
>I made up the bracket to hold the expansion pack (you could use a CF
pack
>and this would hold the maps etc) and used double sided sticky fixers
>hold the 2 together. I made up a special clamp arrangement to hold it
fixed
>onto one of the vents on the dash. I did have it screwed before but it
was
>too low down. I'll email you some shots from the inside of the car
tonight.

>The serial cable from the GPS receiver, which is hidden in the centre
>console and permanently wired in, comes up from the dash and just hangs
>down beside the bracket. All very neat when the Ipaq is not in the car.
>Only the serial and power cable is left behind hanging.
>
>Get in the car, drop the Ipaq in the expansion pack (much more secure
than
>those clamp type units) and plug in the serial cable and away you go.
Very

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger