RE: [OT] Which GPS software?

Great stuff Phil, - very informative... (BTW, what does
"obstrictive" mean?)

Anyone done much with iPAQ GPS? - I bought one last week, just waiting for
my neighbour to bring round the extra memory cards I've ordered before I
install it... I will use it for the first time this weekend when I go to
one
of SWMBO's mates weddings "up north"...

I've got the NAVMAN jacket, which came with a copy of Smart ST
Professional,
and I've also got TomTom Citymaps which I "Bought" with the iPAQ
points
voucher I got in the box... - anyone any opinions on which of these is
better? - or for that matter, any other ones I should look at?

Looking forward to playing with it at the weekend!....

Paul G.

> [...]
>cycle and stop driving like a loon on mortorways! I have used AR2001
>*LOADS* of times on the Fuji and it has always got me to where I wanted
>to be. OK, there's no voice commands but it's simply a matter of
"keep
>the car symbol on the fat line" - sure you may occasionally make a
wrong
>turn by mistake but you know quickly enough and get yourself back on
>track. It's not perfect but it's not £1,500 either!!!
>
>Autoroute 2003 : Why Microsoft stick with that ruddy 15 second update
>speed is beyond me! Maps are great, printed output is superb (just as
>with 2001) but I don't want to be handing maps to my mother in law - I
>want this to get me from A-B. Autoroute's calculations are decent
enough
>but its journey times seem very ambitious. Searching for addresses is
>p*ss easy. One gripe ... No address book! I go places more than once
>Why can't I keep an address book?
>
>Route 66 : Lighter on needs than AR2003 it is also lighter on the
frills
>too ... However this isn't a bad thing as it makes the software more
>sprightly when on the move. Route 66 has a hatefull address search
>engine whereby entering my exact postal address finds no matches but
>entering just my street name gives a whole list which thankfully we do
>appear in! On the move however Route 66 has a very informative
>"information display" which includes a constantly updated ETA
based on
>the current time. GPS positioning refresh times are *MUCH* better than
>AR - roughly every 2 seconds - and I have to say I've never had a crash
>from it. This is probably the package I would use at the moment if I
>needed to choose just one.
>
>InfoMap : This is the runt of the bunch ... The new kid. UI is messy
and
>after AR and R66 seems obstrictive but give it a chance and it isn't
>The address searching is great, autocompleting street and town names as
>you type. The voice directions work nicely enough and the auto
rerouting
>works too - one big bonus is "direction of travel up" for the
maps -
>none of the other two packages support any of these three functions ...
>*HOWEVER THERE ARE CAVEATS* I too have had the issue whereby the auto
>rerouting fouls up ... I've also had issues where it says it can't find
>the GPS receiver even though it's still tracking my movements on the
>map! The fact that it throws up alerts saying "You are probably
going
>the wrong way" which need user input to clear seems strange and if
>anyone can tell me why it said "Unable to navigate, you are too
far away
>from your route" last weekend when I was right on the ruddy line
then
>you're a better man than me. Also if there are two or more
"turns" to
>make in quick succession then you might only hear the first - for
>example "Exit Motorway at junction in 100 metres" but you
might not get