RE: OT Discrete Surround Sound Speakers

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: OT Discrete Surround Sound Speakers
  • From: "Andy Bovingdon" <bov@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:13:40 +0100

I believe the BOSE sub takes the mid/low range signals from all speakers, rather than taking the specific .1 bass signal on the DVD. All this usually=
means is that you need a separate sub to handle the dedicated .1 bass
sound. Bose work by using small speakers for directional sound and
a unified box that deals with mid range and bass. It works fine for movies,=
however I would not use Bose in larger rooms as it can lack midrange.
Bass in small rooms is weak anyway so they work ok. But in a larger
room they can be lacking in power and clarity, tending to distort quite
a bit at the higher volumes needed.

But at the end of the day it's down to your ears. See if there are places that will let you home trial them - there is no way to see which sounds
best otherwise, as their demo room will be totally different acoustically to your room.

I would agree that you should check out the other options, like KEF etc
as I find Bose to be very expensive for what is mediocre quality. Also
try some of the in ceiling options for surround.

> At the weekend I was in a HiFi shop in Windsor and was talking with > the sales chap about the BOSE system and was told that it was
> completely useless for watching DVD's as the bass module was not
> active and therefore would not know what sounds were supposed to be > produced by the subwoofer and which were just normal bass signals.
>
> I am not sure I understand his logic, in that surely that processing > would be done by any half decent modern AV amplifier which would have<= BR> > seperate outputs for each of the 6 speakers, or am I missing
> something peculiar about the way the bose system works/ is wired.
>
> BOSE's own advetising materials suggest that the product is targeted > at home cinema use but the shop didn't, they did of course have a
> solution to the problem in the form of Accoustimass 15 speakers for > another 400 quid!
>
> I wouldn't have bought them from him anyway as they are way cheaper > from a number of places in What Hifi and even BOSE themselves at
> their Bicester shopping village outlet which also had some very nice > Crestron panels on display.
>
> The speakers will also have to double as HiFi speakers and capable of<= BR> > dealing with everything from Trance to classical, our movie watching > habits are equally varied.
>
> Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post
>
> Paul
>
> P.S. If anyone has any recommendations as to the best AV amplifier to<= BR> > go with them please let me know, ideally =A3400 to =A3600.
>

> http://www.automatedhome.co= .uk

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""