RE: Any experience of IPHomeNet?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Any experience of IPHomeNet?
  • From: "fluff" <fluff@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 08:44:53 +0100

Not used em myself, but from memory they are not much different to what
everone else uses except they use a small size frame for the rack.

This means it might fit better in your house and being designed for home use
is a bit prettier than commercial offerings.

The down side is it is custom. You will have to buy everything from them
which means they can charge what they like & if they vanish you could have
trouble getting new kit.

The norm (and industry standard) is 19" racks. If you go out and but one
it'll cost you a lot.

Racks ?100-?500 for full hight (7') smaller ones from ?70 up
Patch panels for CAT5 ~?160 for a 48 port lucent, about ?60 for a generic 24
port.

**BUT**

19" is a very old standard. There is a lot of it about. racks can be had for
?50 up or build custom ones (have a look at the archive for teh 23/8/02 for
an discussion of this)

generic 24 port panels from ?10

And it's not going away tens of thousands of companies have this kit so it's
very well established and people are always upgrading and flogging old kit.

Video can be put over cat5 too. See www.kat5.tv for devices for this from
one of the guys off the list (Keith Doxey, one of our resident genii)

Overall IPHomenet is a very pretty system but you could end up paying a lot
for that & personnally I'm always wary of propietary kit.

Hope that helps

Also don't know if you've looked at the list parent site
www.automatedhome.co.uk but there is a wireing guide on it which may be
helpful, and a guide to retrowiring here
http://www.geocities.com/nigelorr/retro_wire.html Another one for new
installs is here http://www.wildtracks.cihost.com/homewire/ (but I've not
read that one as thouroughly so con't recoomend it per se)

Bit lenghty, but hope that helps.

A.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor