RE: Homeseer etc vs Homevision

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Homeseer etc vs Homevision
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 11:12:19 +0100

> Much as I love PCs they're.... PCs...... HV is a dedicated hardware
> solution.

Quite, I don't trust PCs enough to let it control critical systems, like
heating!

> >    4. I would like to use speech synthesis (texttospeech stuff)
>
> HS can certainly do that, no idea about HV.... but if Ken says it can
be
> done with a PC, no probs :)

Yup, you need...HV, PC, TTS module of some description (software) and
you're off.

> I set up voice control with HS..... because it was possible, I did it.
> OK I was running a P233 at the time, which probably didn't help, but
> using a crappy desktop microphone with a long extension lead to my
main
> seating position, I *could* issue commands. Often it got them
wrong....
> don't know if it was the spec of the PC, the mic, the software, my
> commands, or my pronounciation and training. Fun to mess around with
one
> weekend, possibly keep it running in the background for geek-factor
> demos. To do it seriously, with open air mics and filters etc.....
mega
> bucks.

This would appear to be the major stumbling block for speech recognition
as everyone that has used it or installed it, seems to think that it is
somewhat useful, but not all that you may think. TTS is far more useful
for feedback.

> When I had it, I couldn't really think of much I wanted to do with
> it...... generally used the Pronto instead.... it gets things right
when
> I ask it!

Hence the comment above! I looked at speech recognition a while back and
was advised against it as, given the cost, flakiness and the hassles of
installing it, it just wasn't worth it. The Pronto is *the* interface of
choice for me as it is 100% reliable with IR back to HV.

> To some degree, yes, not totally sure which ones, but its the fact
that
> you need to figure out which ones, figure out which ones clash with
> other ones, make sure you have enough ports in the pc, make sure you
had
> the right drivers, make sure the video card / sound card/ operating
> system etc you have doesn't clash with X, Y or Z..... which leads to
> hassle and flakiness, and probably in the long run, a greater expense!

That's the thing, all the PC stuff seems tailored to each user of it all
so you only buy what you need, when you need it. The trick I think here
is to decided what the end game is and make a decision based on that
rather than rush in and two weeks later start with the "I wish I'd..."!
;)

For my money and IMHO, for HA using X10 HV is the dog's danglies and it
cannot be disputed that it is flexible and expandable as well as easy to
program (I can even do it for God's sake! :D) and it can be interfaced
with a plethora of systems with *reasonable* ease. The other factor is
that after two years of HV near enough it has been 100% reliable and
stable, there aren't many PCs around that can match that. ;)

The choice of software for TTS etc comes down to what you need to do and
there are choices, like Home Automator, Homeseer and ACE. It's a case of
what suits you for your needs there but at least there is a choice!

> Buy HV, you know you want to!

Seconded! :)

K.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor