RE: Getting a neat NTL installation

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Getting a neat NTL installation
  • From: "Anthony Livingstone" <anto@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 17:40:29 +0100

My experiences with NTL have been nothing but great...
The house I bought 18 months ago already had cable installed.
There is a small box hidden behind bushes on an external wall - no idea
where their cable comes in from the street (20m away) as it's totally
hidden - I assume buried in the garden and under some paving stones but
there is no trace of it, and you can't see the box on the external wall
due to the bushes.

They have drilled through the wall from their external box and mounted a
small white internal box directly on the other side of the wall.
This is hidden behind a sofa in my house so again can't be seen.
A cable runs from this to the TV and a separate one to the phone point.
Both of these were originally run under the carpet and totally
invisible.
I replaced the carpet with a wooden floor and tacked the cable
discretely around the skirting - again mostly invisible due to where the
sofas are.
If I replace the wooden floor at some point I may cut channels in the
concrete floor to route these cables and my speaker cables directly.
For the most part however everything is invisible.

The week I moved in I had NTL round to install my broadband connection.
My 'office' is at the farthest point possible away from the original
external box.
They fit a splitter to the original outside box and run another cable to
the point where broadband is required.
It's about a 60m run of cable around the house.
The guys came out had a look at what was required and said a team would
come back the next week and spend a day burying cable around the house
and up the side drive to make it invisible.
I wanted it done then and there so asked them to just tack it on the
external wall about 1 brick up from the ground.
They didn't want to do this as they said they 'weren't allowed' but I
insisted and signed something to the effect that it was my call and I
accepted how it would look.
Again there is another small white box on the internal wall where the
broadband cable comes in - this is hidden under a desk.
There are bushes around the front of the house so the cable running
around the outside of the house is not really noticeable from the street
unless you look for it.
This was all free as I had NTL & broadband at my previous house - again
excellent near invisible installation there.
I was very please with their service & attitude on both occasions.

They said they would come back and re-route my broadband cable
underground if I wanted it done at a later date, but I guess there would
probably be a charge for that now.

But I suppose it just depends on who you get to install the kit on the
day and their attitude to the job...

Good Luck!

Anto.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor