RE: I'm Sure this is an old question

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: I'm Sure this is an old question
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 08:52:04 +0100

HomeSeer is good, I’ve had a quick play with it and, if you cannot afford dedicated hardware then it’s a decent solution.

Misterhouse is free and supposed to be good but a pig to program, you need to know PERL.

Autom8it is also free and looks very promising indeed.

ACE only works with a hardware solution.

Comfort is a security system with X10 capability, I’ve not used one but I have seen them installed. Hard to program but it does give a lot of flexibility and security features it was a pig to program but I believe is now much easier with the new software.

Homevision is a dedicated HA controller. HV’s sole job is to monitor and run your HA system and is, IMO, the most flexible controller as well as the most reliable out the box as well as expandable.

My setup uses HV and ACE at the moment, ACE needs a PC running but I run one now for MP3 stuff, weather info (read into HV), text-to-speech, DAB and to allow remote control of Homevision.

I am a great advocate of Homevision but I suppose it comes down to what you really need in your own circumstances but most Homevision owners wouldn’t consider changing, ever! Homevision simply works and keeps on working is very stable and reliable and, when it’s controlling your home, I think that’s a very important factor and I refuse to tie that to a PC totally.

K.