RE: Shopping lists, bar code readers & databases

Stuart Grimshaw [mailto:stuart@xxxxxxx] wrote:
> This old chestnut :-)
> How much progress did members of the list make?

Hmm, I have two Welch Barcode scanners, one at home, one at work.  I only
had one power transformer which I had at work, so I havn't got much coding
done on it for a while.  Last weekend I wired up a second PSU, to try and
get things going again.

Hopefully I'll have something I can release soon, watch this space.

> Did anyone manage to import the Tesco database into something usable?
> Are there any other supermarkets that provide product lists?

I spent a bit of time trying to extract a tab seperated file from this dat
file, and maybe decode a barcode for each product.  The file seems to have
12,140 products in it which I guess might be all the ones they stock.

There is a 4 byte string before each product which I thought might be an
encoded integer but at this precision could only hold numbers 0 to
4294967296 or 10 digits.  Though most barcodes are 13 digits including the
check digit.  It could just be another unique product ID which Tescos uses
but I'd hoped not.

I put my decoded file up on Yahoo in the barcode group, which has now gone
as far as I know, in the hope that someone else can get a barcode out of the
string.  It descibes the 4 digits as decimal numbers and tries a couple of
the standard integer decodings.  I can mail anyone the 200k file if they are
interested.

I also have a database containing 246,000 barcodes and descriptions I got
>from since I know someone else was selling a CD with a similar amount of
barcodes.  This mostley seemed to be for US products anyway.

Rob
--
    / ___  / /  / / __   / _____ HOME: chas@xxxxxxx    / /  /_/ / /__/ / / /__/ / / /__    http://www.kaosuk.co.uk/

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor