-----Original Message-----
From: PatrickLidstone [mailto:patrick@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 18 October 2002 09:44
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: [ukha_d] Re: I was petrol bombed last night ... security questions

A very grim, horrible, experience.

> The property is very long - 80ft, and accessible both via the
ground floor, and the first floor.

> Can anyone recommend any security devices? If someone is
determined, I know I cant stop them doing anything, however if I
could capture them on CCTV or something, then at least I would know
who the B******Ds are. Also that should be a deterrent.

I would suggest the best immediate deterrent is all-round flood
lighting. A large dog living in an outside kennel is also very
effective at discouraging people from attempting to gain access to
the vicinity of the property.

On the CCTV front, you probably want to go for highly visible cameras
and connect them to a time lapse video recorder. Lets Automate &
Keene are good starting points. You have to be realistic though - the
chances of capturing a clear facial image - especially if they are
moving fast, and have a hood up, at night, is very small. I see CCTV
as a psychological deterrent factor rather than anything else.

HTH

Patrick