RE: How does X10 work?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: How does X10 work?
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 07:42:07 +0100

> Not having used X10 I'm still trying to figure out how it works...
>
> How is a module switched on? Does a signal reached it from a
> controller
> over the mains or is it a wireless connection?

The module plugs into a mains skt and receives its instructions over the
mains, its not wireless. If you think of the sine wave of the mains, x10
transmits a small butst of data near the zero cross point. Because there
is only this small region which this type of comms is possible you can
only send small messages. The x10 device receives the message (or sends)
and switches off/on/dimms the device pluggend into it.

To identify the device you set each device with a code so you can
correctly address the device, its quite simple.

> If the mains is used does it matter how many circuits you
> have in your
> house and does distance matter?

Yes both matter, devices which put noise on the line or shift the
powerfactor can effect the signel

> Sorry for all these questions, but I don't want to make any
> mistakes by
> getting the wrong bits of kit to start with.

No problem welcome to the group

John

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor