RE: Pan Fans

From: "Clive Dilley" <clive.dilley@xxxxxxx>

I am interested,  but (as you said) was put of by the none-
compatibility. I did contact PanFans direct and the guy was
quite helpful .... until he told me that.

How does the flap valve work with the PanFan and have you
got some idea of price or either?

Hi Clive,

If you look at the www.fluidmaster.com web page you'll
see the flap valve and should be able to see how it works.
Its basically just a hole witha rubber flap over it that
is lifted to allow the water to flow out of the cistern
and hence flush the toilet. The flap is kept open by the
force of the water rushing through the hole until such
point as the pressure/water level drops low enough for
the flap to cover the hole again. The flap can be adjusted
to meter the amount of water that each flush uses.

The reason they work with a pan fan is that the overflow
pipe is vented into the hole, i.e. into the toilet bowl.
This means that the negative pressure that the pan fan
creates in the cistern will suck (smelly) air out of
the bowl via this overflow pipe.

Hope that helps... if not best take a visit to your
local B&Q and have a look at the display model.

The cost of the flapvalve kit is about £20..
http://www.diy.com/bq/product/product.jhtml?
PRODID=87850&CATID=86732&maxBullets=999

The Pan fans work out around £21 + postage (+vat?), and
the optional IR switches (so the fan only comes on when
someone is on the toilet) are about £16 + postage (+vat?)

Let me know if you want any.. I'm definatley going to
order at least 2 fo myself :)

Marcus