Re: Home Security ?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Home Security ?
  • From: "Marcus Warrington" <marcusw@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:49:09 -0000

David,

Sorry to hear about your break-in.  I had one myself a few years ago
but luckily not much was taken.

Its not really how much they took (they didn't take my Tivo :)) but the
fact they've been in the house. We have full insurance so most things
will get replaced with much better things. The one thing they did take
that causes me grief, is my bag of "old" stereo cameras, they
will
probably take one look at them and throw them in the bin because
they're old. There were also films still in the cameras from last
year when we took SWMBO's father back to Normandy on D-Day.
Guess who's in the bad books for not getting the films developed
quicker.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Marcus Warrington" <marcusw@m...>
wrote:
> Just got back from a business trip to Southern Ireland to find
> that we were
> burgled during the night. SWMBO and the kids were asleep upstairs
> at the time
> and is now very nervous about being in the house on her own. She's
> started a
> campaign with the kids, to "persuade" me we *NEED* a dog.
Obviously
> from my
> point of view a dog isn't very automated so a burglar alarm system
> seems a better bet :)

Well, a dog is for more than just a burglar alarm so you should get
one for the kids anyway :)

Oh don't you start :) All hear in our house is a monotonous chant of
"Can I have a puppy... can I have a puppy..."

It's well worth having an alarm.  In my case they only took what they

I sometimes wonder if its worth just having a simple/cheap alarm as
a deterrent.

One thing I've added since the break-in, which I'm sure acts as a
major deterrent, is security cameras (just cheap B & Q ones) and
prominent notices saying "CCTV in use".  Hopefully any potential
thief is going to think twice if they're going to be caught on camera.

I was thinking of adding some cameras myself.. highly visible ones.
One thought came to mind though.. what if they nick the VCR as well :)

I actually had two cameras sitting in the living room waiting to be
installed when they broke in.  Just shows you should never put off
the important jobs....

Doh!

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx