RE: Re: Lossless audio conversion / DIY Kivor?

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Lossless audio conversion / DIY Kivor?
  • From: "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:44:33 +0100

Title: RE: [ukha_d] Re: Lossless audio conversion / DIY Kivor?
Tony,

You _can_ do this, but in the UK at least it's illegal.

The concept of "Fair Use" - that you can make a single copy in another format for, say, use in a car, is a US concept, that's also enshrined in law in several European countries. In the, there's no such concept, and you are breaking the law every time you rip a CD to MP3, or even copy it to a tape to play in the car.

In the US, it's now illegal to make _digital_ copies without permission, and "Fair Use" doesn't apply. (This is the whole point of the Digital Millenium Copyright Act.) Similar legislation is currently being considered by the European Parliament.

In the US, it is also illegal to develop (NOT SELL, just DEVELOP) anything "designed to circumvent the DMCA". That means that, say, RealAudio might LOSE the ability to rip anything that wasn't covered by an appropriate DRM licence.

There are a number of ongoing court cases. At least one software developer has been arrested in the States, for developing such software.

Frankly, it's all a big fight - with the hardware developers (ie - the Linns, or for that matter the SonicBlues), and the libertarians in one corner, and the traditional recording industry in another. The problem THEY have is that the Internet fundamentally breaks their profit model, so they are fighting back by lobbying the US Government for beneficial legisalation. The problem WE have is that US legislation is being used as the basis for EU legislation here.

Ironically, Sony's hardware division makes a ripper, that Sony's software division is lobbying to make illegal. Anyone who's worked for a large multi-national will have no trouble believing that such policy inconsistencies abound inside an organisation :-)

Regards,

Mark