Re: X10 problems

Hi Adam

I had a similar problem with X10 signals not getting through to their
destination.

In my situation I found it was my TV putting interference on the ring
main. Moving my CM12U to a socket closer to the controlled devices
fixed my problem - but I had the advantage that I don't need the
computer permanently connected to the CM12U.

Can I suggest the following :

1) Unplug every mains device in your house. Tedious but the only way
to isolate the problem.

2) Test your X10 setup - if it now works you know you have a "dirty"
device that is putting interference on the mains. The challenge now
is to re-plug your devices one by one until you find the offender.

3) If your X10 setup still doesn't work switch off lighting
circuits/cooker circuits etc. at your fuse box so leaving only the
ring main connected. If X10 still doesn't work you may be getting
interference from a neighbour...  You will need a friendly neighbour
to investigate their appliances! Also I think there is a filter that
you can connect to clean your mains supply as it come into your house.

If and when you find the offending appliance you can get a mains
filter from Laser that will prevent interference travelling from the
appliance into the ring main.

Good luck!

Tom

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Adam Stevens" <adam@z...> wrote:
> <delurk>
>
> Hi,
>
> I've been using X10 for a number of years.  Mostly for monitoring
the
> house (using Hawkeye PIRs) rather than control of devices, although
I do
> have a number of lights which are X10 controlled.
>
> Over the last week, I've been experiencing serious problems with my
X10
> [...]
> stopped working, and today, I finally got around to having a play
to see
> if I could see what was wrong.
>
> Most of my PIRs are on house code "F" (F2, F4, F6 etc, which allows
the
> code + 1 to be the dawn/dusk sensor, and leaves F1 as the socket on
the
> TM13).
>
> I have a small three bedroom house, one of the bedrooms is my
office,
> contains all my computer kit, and is the room where the CM12 is
plugged
> in.  There is a double socket in the landing just outside the office
> door, and a single socket at the other side of the landing.
>
> I know for a fact that the mains ring goes from the office, to the
> landing double socket, to the landing single socket, and then into
the
> main bedroom where I have about 6 double sockets.
>
> If I plug a TM12/13 into one socket in a double socket (set to, for
> example, house code "G"), and an appliance module into the other
socket
> on the double (set to "G7"), then using my RF remote, pressing G1
on or
> off causes the TM12 to switch on and off (as expected). Pressing G7
on
> or off causes the appliance module to switch on or off.
>
> If however, I plug the TM12 into the single socket in the landing,
or a
> socket in the bedroom, then although I can switch the TM12 on or off
> using G1, G7 has no effect at all.  Even if I plug the TM12 into a
> double socket in the bedroom, and the appliance module into the
other
> socket of the double, then although G1 will cause the TM12 to
switch, I
> can't get the appliance module to switch at all (although they're
right
> next to each other, and I know they both work).
>
> I've played with this quite comprehensively, and it would appear
that
> X10 singles are not getting any further than the double socket in
the
> landing one way, and a socket in the sitting room the other (which
is
> the "other side" of the mains ring).  If I use any other socket in
the
> house, no X10 is received.
>
> I've read about new electrical equipment sometimes causing X10
> interference, however the only new thing I've bought in the last
couple
> of weeks is a TiVo, and a new TV.  I've tried unplugging these from
the
> mains, but I'm still getting the same problem.
>
> The weird thing is that for a couple of years, this has all worked
fine.
> I've never had a problem with X10 communication to the extent that
I've