Re: Mail Servers... less OT :-)

postfix (using maildir mailbox format) + courier-imap + maildrop +
sqwebmail is the easiest/fastest/most flexible combination I've come up
with. It provides everything you specified. Maildir format gives better
performance (+ ease of use over NFS, which won't be much use to you)
than traditional mailboxes, as it avoids the issue of file locking.
sqwebmail reads directly from the files in maildir, rather than going
through the IMAP server, to provide a blisteringly fast webmail
interface. It also provides an interface to maildrop, a more structured
alternative to procmail, so you can configure filtering without having
to edit baroque config files. See http://www.inter7.com/courierimap/

Careful with standard (UW) IMAP server - it seems to be beset by
security problems. Personally, I couldn't get cyrus working, but that
was a couple of years ago - it's supposed to be a good option nowadays.
And avoid qmail as mail server - probably a good product but too many
arrogant t0ssers on the mailing lists if you are looking for support.
And haven't tried it myself yet, but I understand Spam Assassin is an
excellent add-on to any *nix mailserver.

Cheers,

Bruno

Mark Harrison wrote:
> Can anyone recommend me a good mail server...
>
> What I -really- want is a free Exchange clone... ie, it must have the following capabilities:
>
> 1: I can point Outlook at it
> 2: It supports subfolder on the SERVER
> 3: I can point a web client at it
> 4: It supports server-side rules to file messages meeting certain criteria
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor