RE: IR to Serial on a PC

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: IR to Serial on a PC
  • From: Mike Griffiths <mike@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:41:46 -0000

> I missed the serial bits in ACE - I guess you use a HomeVision event in
> ACE?

[Mike] No it is a separate tab so any button on ACE can send a serial
command
Or Homevision can instruct ACE to send it out - works well

> I use Win2K server for all my HA apps - decided on this route as I'm
> also running Exchange 2000 and IIS. Only trouble is I've run out of
> serial ports (4) as I've got connections to Comfort, HV, Meteor and
> something else I can't remember! Might go for a USB serial option as
> I've had a few problems in the past with IRQ sharing and the serial
> ports :-( + expandability would be better.
> I run PC Anywhere on it and other PC's (my BT Satellite gateway) quite
> successfully - shame W2K doesn't have a desktop sharing app that's
> compatible with the XP desktop sharing tool (and works in the same
> way):-(

[Mike] That is the problem I encountered so I opted for a separate PC to
play with for my Win2K server

> Shame that Pioneer don't publish the serial protocol - seems rather
> strange. My Panasonic plasma has the codes in the user manual and Onkyo
> sent me a load of docs about their kit on request (excellent tech
> support).

[Mike] I couldn't believe the guy at Pioneers attitude but browsing the
Newsgroups I see it isn't uncommon

> How are you getting on with your screen? I'm loving mine - just ordered
> a load of Component cables from RGB Comms (broadcast cables hugely
> cheaper than the audiophile rip off merchants!) + an RGB to Component
> converter from rgbtosvideo.com. The Onkyo amp (989) has 3 component
> inputs and switches between them.

[Mike] The Pioneer screen is excellent
I'm feeding Component from my Toshiba 900e DVD the progressive scan looks
amazing
Sky/Tivo go in RGB
Then the Shuttle goes in VGA at the native 1280x768
I use my ATI capture card then to input the small Pace freeView box set to
RGB then converted to S-Video using a rgbtosvideo.com converter the new box
is good as it also passes through RGB
I've also been playing with the an RGB to Component converter on my PC
Monitor - it gives great results

My Biggest problem at present is redo-ing the Pronto and HV controls

At present I have about 4 new remotes and I'm afraid it is doing my head in

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor