RE: KAT5 S-Video and Plasma problem

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: KAT5 S-Video and Plasma problem
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 23:19:10 -0000

Hi Paul,

You say you have tried it to a Sony TV and it worked as S-Video in full
colour.

Was this over the KAT5's and if so, was it in the same physical location (ie
using the same CAT5 cabling?)

If not, check the termination on the Brown/White pair of the CAT5 cable on
pins 7&8 both for security of termination and correct polarity.

You dont say what the source equipment is. Have you tried that connected
DIRECTLY to the Plasma.

If the frame rate of the source is not 50Hz but the colour encoding is PAL
then the Plasma may be getting confused and trying to decode it as NTSC.

We have an Iiyama 18" TFT at work that is fed with S-Video from a DVD
player. When set to AUTO colour system the image was in colour but had a
slight shimmer to it. It identified the signal as PAL 50Hz which is correct
for what we were feeding it. Forcing it into PAL mode gave a perfectlystable
picture but it was Black and White! Setting it to NTSC also gave a perfectly
stable picture.... but it was COLOUR and about a third of the picture was
outside the display area of the screen!

If you want to discuss this over the phone then call me tomorrow evening
after 8pm. The phone number is on your invoice.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv