RE: OT: Urgent - Virus issue

It seems that adding Urgent into my Topic caused Yahoo to take almost 1.5
hours to send this to members. :(

So a progress update that will hopefully be useful to anyone that runs into
similar problems and archived in the event that anything further goes wrong
tonight.

The virus itself seems to build on various techniques rather than merely
being an "update". Some Spanish people have been affected by
parts of this
issue and one published trojan uses some of the techniques but the overall
package appears to be unrecognised. Other than that, there seems to be
little information available.

I will pass my experience onto some AV people in the hope that AVPs can be
taught to cope with it but in the meantime my current fix is as follows:

1) Download and install STOPIT from http://www.mcdev.com/.

It is a useful (and free) utility in any case but essential for my current
fix.

2) Disconnect from the Internet. I do not know the full payload, but you
could be used as a zombie in a DDOS attack while infected if nothing else.

3) Run Stopit, and select and press STOPIT button on the following
processes:

C:\WINDOWS\Sysrun32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\MTask32.exe

(Note C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTask32.exe is a valid process)

4) Delete the original email or usenet message containing the anyname.scr
file.

5) Delete the following files:

C:\WINDOWS\Sysrun32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Sysscfg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\MTask32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\rc4toolkit.dll
C:\WINDOWS\nicks.tmp

(You might want to move the files instead of deleting them if you feel
there
is risk by deleting them but make sure you move them to a location that you
will not accidentally click on them.)

6) You can now (and should) relaunch any firewall and AV programs. You
should be safe to reconnect to the Internet to update your AV program.

7) Open regedit and navigate to
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Delete the entries for:

C:\WINDOWS\Sysrun32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\MTask32.exe

Note your Anti Virus program will be disabled and may require a reinstall
since the virus has stolen the normal Anti Virus registry key. (This is how
it finds and disables the AVP, great place to store the fact you are
running
one! If your AV program has an option to run at bootup in it's
configuration, deselect and reselct may be enough to restore it into the
registry.

8) Delete the directory C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTEMY7

It is inactive now but no point leaving trojans in place. Most AV programs
will only detect the IRC.Backdoor trojan in the file TEMP.SCR. There is
also
a file called TEMP.EXE which has a MIRC icon and is a valid Mirc v5.7.

9) Reboot and run a full virus scan.

I cannot guarantee that this will remove all elements of the virus, but
AFAICT so far, it does. If I find anything else about this, I will update
my
fix.

One other utility that I feel deserves mention and is also free is SWATIT
>from
various historical reasons, but it is free and has a better detection rate
for trojans and the like than all current AV programs. AV programs seem to
detect only IRC.backdoor in the SYSTEMY7 directory while Swaitit picks up
the additional bots in the associated utilities.
http://lockdowncorp.com/bots/downloadswatit.html

Although I hope nobody has to use it, I hope this information is useful
until the AV manufacturers catch up.

I also seem to have aquired some sort of certification on my outgoing mail.
I will leave this on for a couple days before removing it so apologies for
the temporary extra text on my posts. Anyone needing a free virus checker
for Windows can find one at http://www.grisoft.com.

Mark.

Win32.B**tard.

> I will also begin a boycott NewsRover campaign since that is the
program
> that made it so easy to accidentally trigger this bl**dy thing!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark.
>

> ---
>

> http://www.automatedhome.co.uk