Re: THX and music replay...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: THX and music replay...
  • From: "mikehumberston" <mike@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:20:10 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Mark Harrison" <Mark.Harrison@e...> wrote:
> I don't pretend to be technical enough to understand the
engineering implications of things like:

> - The impact of Jitter
> - EMF from video circuitry
> - Cubic-spline interpolation of upsampling
>
> I am aware, however, from talking to audio hardware designers (I
> too was a recording engineer back in the early 90s...) that it's
> NOT as simple as saying that "this is bit-perfect".

Yes, I know that.  It's the startimg point and my first point is that
what comes off the disc is bit perfect regardless of whether the disc
is a CD or a DVD.  I certainly don't hear any compromise subsequent
stages in the Meridian 800 because it is a DVD player.  There
certainly isn't any compromise in the dejittering, upsampling etc,
which is done mostly by software and I presume that the EMF from
video circuitry is sufficiently well shielded from the audio output.
Actually normaly it wouldn't be of significance because the output
>from an analogue audio signal.  In fact with the Meridian system the audio
signal is digital all the way to the loudspeakers, the only analogue
signal path being the short length of wire between the power amps in
the speakers and the voice units.  It is the fact that the audio
circuitary in the Meridian 800 series is digital, some in hardware
but much in software, that make the 800 different from most other
domestic hi-fi equipment and removes many of the problems that affect
analogue circuitry and gives the 800 series its incredible
flexibility.

> I stand by my view that, having listened to the players in a
> variety of different systems, and with a variety of different
> recordings, the Linn Sondek CD12 is the best source for music
> replay I have ever heard.

Preferences for equipment at the stratospheric prices that Meridian
and Linn are able to command is always going to be a subjective
personal opinion and and I'm not disagreeing with you that you prefer
the Linn.  However, having said that I would question how you can say
that about a particular source as what one listens to when making
evaluations is a system, not a source and the sound you hear will be
a result of how that system performs as a whole and how well
integrated it is so your preference will be for the sound the system
as a whole produces.

> I have no doubt that DVD players WILL end up better (they have a
> better native resolution) - I've just not heard any that are there
> yet.

We'll just have to agree to disagree as to whether digital technology
has already achieved that. ;-)

Regards
Mike