OT Car Navigation - Automating my map reading <g>

I've erred on the side of caution with marking this as OT - but it is
automation :)

I decided I required this after having been stuck on the motorway around
Brom the other day for the 5th time in as many journeys. I currently use a
gps with an internal map, but it's hard to look at when one is dealing with
my fellow drivers when we are all determined to occupy the same space! I
have used the traffic master YQ in the past.

I don't have the money to spare to get one of the all singing and dancing
DVD type systems.

Plus I want one that is capable of receiving traffic information and routing
on that basis.

This gives me a choice of the VDO Dayton system which is licensed to use TMC
(Traffic Message Channel)
Or the new Traffic master service which remotes everything from the car.

I'm looking at the MS5000 from VDO Dayton. My local ICE place has one from
their demo car. Unfortuannally it is sat in a box and isn't easy to setup to
demo as it wants inputs from the car like a reversing light connection and
the speedo pulse etc. (they are arranging a demo, but would like to have the
prospective from a long term user if possible.)

Does anyone here use the VDO units? With or without TMC?   Is there anything
else I should consider?

Hope that all makes sense - much get back to pulling cables, at last have
started flood wiring with a vengeance over the last week. Had the cable etc
sat in the living room bugging me for the last 6 months!

Thanks

Richard