RE: THX and Arcam's reply to questions.

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: THX and Arcam's reply to questions.
  • From: "Nick Tyson - The Edge" <nick@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 08:52:38 -0000

Speaking as someone who is THX certified (ie I paid to spend an expensive
weekend at Skywalker Ranch learning stuff that I already knew) I would agree
that a lot of it is just an excercise in marketing. Plus it can be quite
confusing ie the man in the street might think that THX certification on
software implied some kind of compatibility with THX hardware, or that it
related to some sort of standard for picture or sound whereas on software it
can relate simply to the quality of the transfer to the medium. For example
when I was doing my *training* they had just given certification to a movie
that had really poor picture quality and only mono sound on the basis that
it was an accurate transfer from the film ie the film was crap and the
laserdisc is equally as crap.

What it does do is guarantee a minimum level of performance which some
manufacturers consider to add extra value to the product. A consumer can buy
a THX product safe in the knowledge that it's going to perform to at least
the standards laid down by Lucafilm. It doesn't in any way imply that
products without the logo are inferior. I understand the comment about the
Yam 3090, but then instead of THX certification Yamaha chose to spend that
extra money on DSP processing which for most people is no more benefit than
a THX logo. You pays your money....

There was a time, back in the good old days of vanilla flavoured Pro-Logic,
where the THX processing that you could only get on an approved amp was
worth having for the re-equalisation, decorrelation of the surround
speakers, etc as it did make a difference. But since the advent of digital
surround that is now only a benefit on non digital sources (which we still
use a lot - Standard sky receivers, all cable boxes, VCR, analogue
terrestrial TV, etc).

Whichever way you go you're going to be paying for a bunch of stuff that may
not be of use to you, virtually all equipment has money invested in
features, facilities (or marketing) that may be of no apparent benefit to
you. Ultimately I would agree that the important thing is to buy stuff that
sounds great to you whether it conforms to any particular standards or not.

Nick Tyson
The Edge
Tel 01473 288211
Fax 01473 288255