Re: Hollow skirting boards?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Hollow skirting boards?
  • From: "Matt P." <matt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 22:11:35 -0000

--- In ukha_d@y..., Colin Bradford <colin@f...> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Matt P. wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > We're about to move to a new flat and since we need to rip out
the
> > existing skirting boards to fit the flooring I was thinking that
> > surely there must be hollow ones where you can run all your cat5
(on-
> > topic now!) cables and other stuff?  A quick google didn't
reveal
> > anything apart from some American products, including one that
has
> > flaps so you can access the internals without taking it apart at
the
> > seams, so to speak.
> >
> > Has anyone seen or used anything like this here in the UK?
>
> Yes. The one I've got is made by Marshall Tufflex, and is a 3
> compartment trunking system.  It's quite small, so the bends are a
> little tight for cat5, but it looks just like plastic skirting
board -
> many people don't realise it's not normal wooden skirting until
it's
> pointed out to them.  It's two parts - the front clips on to the
back
> part, which is screwed to the wall.  A couple of tips:
>
> - make sure you mount it high enough up the wall so that the
carpet goes
> under it - otherwise you can't remove the front

> - mitre the corners properly. The installers who did my house
didn't,
> and as a result I can't pull cables round the corners - I have to
remove
> all the fronts to install a new cable.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Colin.

Cool, I'll give them a call tomorrow.  Thanks for the info!

Cheers
Matt

Just had another thought (going to end up expensive, this...) - it
would be really clever to have those small doors in the floor and
plug in things like sidetable lamps without having to have wires
trailing across the room to the wall socket.  The rear surround
speakers could also be wired in there... hmmm... would have been
easier to plan for the sofa to back onto a wall instead of in the
middle of the room.

One cool thing is we get mains pressure hot and cold water, no
rusting boiler, leaking gas pipes or hot water tanks that runs out
mid-shower.  As long as a the communal power stations works, that is!