Re: Tivo urban legends

Quoting Ian Davidson (ian@xxxxxxx):

> Not only the tivo has the effect mentioned. Normally that effect is down to
> leakage from one of the phone lines to earth, this could be capacitive
> coupled. I do not have a TIVO (hopefully one day soon, must resist the bulk
> buys !) but to try to prove it is an earth problem leave the tivo connected
> wait for the ADSL to drop out then unplug the tivo from the mains so that it
> has no earth, does this restore the ADSL ?

BT's testing system can identify earth leakage, but I don't know if it will
work when the leak is iside the house.  Don't waste time with the automated
testing system on the 151 number -- it'll tell you the line is fine even
when there are certain faults.  I discovered this recently when I had a
problem with my phone line that was fixed sufficiently well for me to be
able to make calls, the 151 automated test said the line was ok, but there
was still a fault.

Anyway, to the details...  Dial 17070 from the phone (has to be a POTS
line -- it doesn't work with anything else), then select menu options 3,
1 and 2.  Put the phone down and you'll get a call back with the results
of the test.  In my case it told me there was an earth fault even though
the other tests worked so I got BT to fix that, too.

James