RE: Re: Tivo vs ShowShifter - more fuel for the fire

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Re: Tivo vs ShowShifter - more fuel for the fire
  • From: "Phillip Harris" <phil@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 11:58:24 +0100

> > So instead of voicing it just here put together a structured
> > discussion email without being emotional, offensive or abusive and
> > send it to TiVo.
>
> I apologise for following up a message on here to give my
> version of the facts. I have made my views clear to TiVo
> customer services already, politely and unemotionally! :-)
>
> In future, I'll keep my mouth shut if I have anything other
> than positives to say about TiVo. Other than this issue, I am
> very happy with TiVo though. I tested Showshifter and didn't
> like it at all, so I went ahead and bought a TiVo and it was
> a great decision.

Dave I wasn't taking a dig ... I actually meant that because you
actually had a valid argment as to why TiVo shouldn't do it (rather than
"I just don't like it") then present it to TiVo. Emotional outbursts
(like we sometimes do have here) don't get anywhere whereas a reasoned
argument does.

I was on your side mate!

> > Myself I don't mind things like that happening as long as:
> >
> > 1) It doesn't interfere with what I'm watching through TiVo
> as "live
> > TV".
>
> It does

If it does then TiVo will also have a complaint from me.

> > 2) It doesn't cause the deletion of any programs that have been
> > recorded as part of the normal "ToDo" list or season passes
> or cause
> > any of those same "ToDo" recordings or season passes not to be
> > recorded.
>
> It doesn't admittedly, but only because they've set aside
> some hard disk space just for these promotions. My view is
> that they have no right to reserve space on 'my' disk for
> their adverts.

Doesn't bother me at all ... The Tivo was advertised as being able to
record 19 hours and a bit in High Quality and it does so. If it didn't
meet up to it's claims then again I would have complained. Early Tivos
came with a 30 and a 15Gb drive (45Gb), later Tivos came with a single
40Gb drive (5Gb less). There was no big hoohaa over the loss of that 5Gb
because mainly the TiVo is a piece of consumer electronics rather than a
PC users toy. Consumers generally don't care about whether it has two
drives or one, whether it records certain shows "on command" or not
*UNTIL* it interferes with anything they want to do.

> > 3) It doesn't *HAVE* to be watched before it can be deleted.
>
> It can't be deleted (except through backdoors)

I thought it could be deleted after a week? If it doesn't take up my
user space then again I don't mind. If they have several programmes a
week that record in this way then as long as they overwrite each other I
still don't mind ... If any of them overwrite any of my set recordings
or season pass recordings then they'll have me complaining.

> > 4) Any programs with "unsuitable content" be locked - my
> six year old
> > son can use the TiVo and if he is exposed to such
> programming (or the
> > posibility of such programming) then documentation and
> recordings will
> > be provided to my local M.P. about it.
>
> For this program, that was not the case. It seems that the
> program has disappeared from the menu this morning, so it may
> be that they have taken the complaints on board.

May well be so congratulations on doing the right thing, complaining to
the company in a logical and reasoned way and not just whining about it
where it'll never get seen by the people that need to be told.

Phil