RE: Tivo vs ShowShifter - more fuel for the fire

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Tivo vs ShowShifter - more fuel for the fire
  • From: "Kenneth Watt" <kennwatt@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 11:09:52 +0100

It's not recorded on my TiVo either.

However you are right in that this is the thin edge of the wedge and you
can expect more of this across all platforms, as well as targeted
advertising within shows with still more annoying interactive crap
actually embedded in the show. Simply the programme makers and
broadcasters are continually looking at new ways to generate revenue,
this is their great white hope for the future.

Sky started it in many ways and will probably be the leader in the
technology that allows this to happen in reality, notice the "press the
red button now for more details". This system went live a few months ago
and looks to be expanded upon greatly!

By law IIRC the broadcasters can only show nine minutes of commercial
advertising in one hour of programming, the same restrictions are not
put on the US TV channels and this is why they get more advertising.
Unless there is some huge movement to force the ITC into stopping this
>from your TV in the future. Thing is, not many people seem to be either
taking any notice or care about it all.

K.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor