OT: Video Projector Advice

Thanks to the talk on this group, I am starting to investigate a
ceiling mount projection TV for my entertainment center.  I don't
know much about them, and was hoping to get some advice.

The Environment:
The wall I would project onto is about 8 feet x 4 feet (16:9 ratio
would be 7.1' x 4').  The projector could be mounted between 0-6 feet
>from painted a bright white with an unnoticable pink hue. (called "Whisper
Pink")

The projector would be in a living room with some windows, so during
the day it would be bright.  It would be dim to dark in the evenings.

The Budget:
No more than $3500 (2400 pounds) complete

The Uses:
TV (HDTV eventually), DVD Player, Computer Input (for movies, games,
surfing)

The Interfaces:
Audio -    N/A - covered by the stereo system
DVD -      Could use RGB, S-Video, or composite
TV -       Composite
Computer - Composite, S-Video (800x600 max)
HDTV -     ?? Don't have any decoder yet.

My Questions:
1)  How many "lumens" do I need to see the picture in the daytime?
How many lumens would be adequate for viewing only in dim conditions?
2)  Is HDTV ready of any importance?
3)  What native resolution would be acceptable for these
applications?  Could I get away with XGA for DVD's and HDTV??
4)  What resolutions/formats should the projector support?
5)  Pros/Cons of the various projection technologies (see budget
before answering)
6)  What advantages does a native 16:9 aspect ratio have?
7)  Can I project directly on the wall without a screen?
8)  What inputs would be required/desirable?  I assume 1xRGB for DVD,
1xS-Video for Computer, and 1xComposite for TV?
9)  Is there any value to zoom/focus features for a ceiling mount?
10) And the big question -- Can I get a decent projector within my
budget?
11) Are there length limitations for S-Video or RGB cables (from DVD
to Projector)
12) What's the best way to win SWMBO's approval for this
new "necessity"?

Thanks for any advice,

Doug Woolridge

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor