RE: Wireless multicam surveillance for PC

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Wireless multicam surveillance for PC
  • From: "Kevin Hawkins" <lists@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 10:54:36 +0100

Title: Message
Anthony,

    In my case I am quite happy with the frame rate I am getting from the GV600 (4fps is quoted with all 8 cameras operational). The less cameras you use though the better the frame rate (obviously) but additionally, as Jason says, there is a settling time between switching where the on board hardware has to resynch with the camera timebase. In more expensive setups the cameras are all synched together so they can be displayed and recorded much more easily at higher or even full frame rates.
    When the unit does trigger (using the motion detection as this is the only low cost option) then it records only the camera sources that have motion in them but it still has to monitor the others in case they trigger too. You also need to be happy that the motion detection will work for you - for example moving trees or lights that turn on and off look like motion to the cameras, although the software includes excellent area masking for the cameras individually.
    Henrys Radio url is http://www.henrys.co.uk/cctv/multicam.htm just in case you haven't got it. The GV800 is £400 more on this site - where did you get the £150 price difference from ? Lastly although all the cards, in the 400 series are identical the 'dongle' dictates how any inputs are scanned and active, and the manufacturer / Henrys will not allow an upgrade at a later date - really dumb and unhelpful.
    Camera quality is quite important for good results, I have no experience of the XCams, btw using mono cameras does not speed anything up although you might hope it did.

[[K]]