RE: DIYHA Digital Jukebox

Hi Mark,

There would be "some" album details where I could extract the
data from what
I have got but my knowledge of albums is largely no existant.

I spent 20 years as a DJ and my collection consist almost entirely of
Singles and Compliation CD's. I probably have 20 or 30 CD's that are by
individual artists and they are largely "Greatest Hits".

During the 70's and 80's I could bet someone that whatever jukebox they
could find, I would have >95% of the songs on it but since I gave up
DJ'ing
in 1991 I have hardly bought any CD's at all. Now I cant even say that I
have HEARD of 10% of the songs on a Jukebox never mind owning them!

The Application is written in ASP and runs on Personal Webserver or IIS and
uses Media Player for playback. It can either run in Internet Explorer or
its own standalone VB application which can be remotely controlled from an
iPaq or other browser. The database is an Access database and there are no
duplicated MP3's in it. The only time a song will be there as more than one
MP3 is where it is a different or extended mix. I have a long way to go
before all my CD's are entered but so far there are

Total Albums  	86
Total Artists  	714
Total Songs  	1305
Total Tracks  	1691

The discrepancy between 1691 tracks and 1305 songs is because I have
already
eliminated 386 duplicates due to the same song appearing on more than 1 CD.

There is only 1 entry for an album.
This points to the tracks table which contains the ID's of the songs on
that
album
The songs table only contains a single entry for the MP3 but can be
referenced from as many track entries as needed. The jukebox allows me to
click on a song and list the CD's that contain that song, I can than click
on the CD icon against that CD to see what other tracks are on it. At any
point I can instantly play any of the songs. I can also run whatever live
reports I want, for instance here is the first part of the report for
"Songs
on more than One CD" with the number of CD's that contain that song.
ie what
would have been duplicates...

I Will Survive   Gloria GAYNOR  4
What Do You Want   Adam FAITH  4
A World Without Love   PETER and GORDON  3
Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now   McFADDEN and WHITEHEAD  3
Do Wah Diddy Diddy   MANFRED MANN  3
Excerpt From A Teenage Opera   Keith WEST  3
Get Down On It   KOOL and the GANG 3
Got To Get You Into My Life   Cliff BENNETT and the REBEL ROUSERS 3
How Do You Do What You Do To Me?   GERRY and the PACEMAKERS 3
I Get Around   The BEACH BOYS  3
I'm Alive   The HOLLIES  3
I'm Into Something Good   HERMANS HERMITS  3
Lady Marmalade   LABELLE  3
Little Children   Billy J. KRAMER and the DAKOTAS 3
Love Train   The O'JAYS  3
Ms. Grace   The TYMES  3
Pretty Flamingo   MANFRED MANN  3
Shakin' All Over   Johnny KIDD and the PIRATES 3
The Game Of Love   Wayne FONTANA and the MINDBENDERS 3
There Goes My First Love   The DRIFTERS  3
Three Steps To Heaven   Eddie COCHRAN  3
When Will I See You Again   THREE DEGREES  3
You Bet Your Love   Herbie HANCOCK  3

I am already looking at using the Tag info to "suggest" what the
correct
info should be. I have a Class fiule that can read MP3 tags and display
them
in an ASP although I need to look at the code to trap some of the errors it
generates. some malformed tags cause the ASP to crash out but the intention
is that it would read the tag, generate several possibilities that match my
schema, retrieve any possible matching existing entries and also give me
the
option for free text entry for totally new artists/songs. A simple click
would then set the correct information into the database.

Still a way to go but if I can make it useable to others without too much
work then I will make it available, if not, it will remain what it started
life as, which is my own totally customised MP3/Video player.

Keith

www.diyha.co.uk
www.kat5.tv