RE: [OT] Harry Potter DVD - Whats the deal ????

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [OT] Harry Potter DVD - Whats the deal ????
  • From: "Mark Hetherington" <mark.egroups@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 00:20:17 +0100

Is the disk single or double sided?

IIRC HP was quite a long film (saw it at the cinema for free with work
since
we are working on a related project) so probably fills most of one side of
disc using RDSL so I assume Side 2 was reserved for the extras. To keep
costs down at both cost and retail, I imagine two releases would be better
for the studio.

Just checked the US version which was also released as two sets, WS and FS,
and it seems the US version has all extras on Disk 2. So no excuse in my
mind for not using side 2 of disk 1 for the alternate version as many DVDs
have in the past.

I fear that now that DVD has matured to a more mainstream medium, we will
be
forced to have the mutiple versions of box office hits. Most of my disks
have both versions of the movie (where both are available) and if extras
won't fit in the space left, a second disk for the extras.

Extras seem to have been the cause of a number of arguments in the past
when
DVD was first released. Many early adopters were fans of movies and saw
extras as a bonus, while others felt they were necessary for the format.
Personally I am probably more in the first group. I buy the disk for the
film, and extras are a bonus but as an early adopter myself got used to
both
formats being on one disk while extras ranged from having a screenshot with
a "play" button to an entire disk dedicated to the "making
of...".

My main gripe with multiple sets with differing aspect ratios is the
tendency of studios to release one later, so you end up buying the film in
say full screen, then a month later, the WS or original format comes out
maybe with something extra thrown in that was not in the initial release.
Or
vice versa for the 4:3 purchaser. Plus, I don't want to have to check for
the "other" disk when buying it. VHS Widescreen always seemed to
have a
small corner of any given video store. I would hate to see DVD go the same
way due to the majority installed 4:3 userbase making sales of 4:3 disks
higher so having both on one disk removes this potential problem. Plus you
have the added problem of DVDs as gifts when multiple formats are
presented.

It could be a simple restriction on lending the disk.

I won't go into the ensuing special edition/limited edition/directors cuts
et al which further disadvantage purchasers to keep the studios' coffers
full.

I still import all my DVDs from the US, well Canada but the disks are
generally released at the same time, before here and for less money. For a
long time this protected me from the complete lack of care taken with
European release (a number of disks here were dual sided rather than RDSL
and the extras in the US versions were never included, the excuse being the
space taken by language tracks). The advantage is falling as the studios
now
try to avoid the US DVD being out before the cinema release in Europe. I
occasionally miss out on the odd PAL bargain DVD but this may not be a bad
thing, since if I wouldn't buy the disk full price, I am probably better
off
avoiding it at a bargain price :)

Well, I have ranted long enough so best sign off before I start on DVDR and
it's several formats! :)

Mark.

"original" is
> probably going to confuse the public, but it's a step in the
> right direction
> and should be applauded.
> >
> > Presenting the public with a choice betweeen "4:3",
"16:9" and
> "original"
> would be too much, and practically lead to returns all over the place.
> >
> > Presenting the public with a choice between "4:3" and
"16:9" would annoy
> the high-end community who want to watch in the original aspect ratio.
> >
> > Orignal aspect ratio + projector = top result...
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Mark

ratio of 2.35:1 aka
> 21:9.
> > Anyone with a 16:9 widescreen set will still have black bars top
and
> bottom
> > or have to zoom or stretch the picture to fill the screen.
> >
> > Given that most people buying a new main TV are now buying 16:9
> sets, WHY
> > didnt they release a 16:9 version. It would be acceptable to most
of the
> 4:3
> > community as they are now used to seeing stuff letterboxed on
> their TV and
> > people who had bought widescreen pictures would get the full
image that
> they
> > bought their sets for.
> >
> > Buying the Widescreen version before I get a WS set would be
> total madness
> > as the presentation would be in "Slit-o-Vision" where
only the centre

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx