RE: Garden automation

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Garden automation
  • From: "Dr John Tankard" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 10:56:59 +0100

> cat 5 in garden... lying on top of soil (exposed) 4 runs
> still working well forr cctv to summerhouse, 1 wire temps to
> greenhouse, right enough, it's only about 1.5 years out
> there...including running through puddles..

It does not mean that it will still be ok in 5 years, also consider the
other risks

The cable could become damaged, you may have a earth potential, even
with magnetics at either end you could still have problems (it there is
a local neutral fault you could have a potential lethal problem, (I have
seen near my house a wire fence with mains on it !)), you are also more
likely to suffer damage from a near lighting strike, I except that at
the summer house end you will still have a target, but its much smaller.

John

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor