-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Varga [mailto:lee@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 15 May 2002 23:28
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx Subject: RE: [ukha_d] BTInternet does it again !!!

>I am not getting into a discussion about whether people should leave
>their PCs connected for more than 12 hours a day or whatever but it is
>the very use of "To make things fairer for everybody, we've changed the
>daily internet use limit for Anytime and SurfTime  customers from 16
>hours to 12 hours of 'unmetered' access in any 24-hour period." ... It
>almost screams "We make money until you use more than 12 hours a day and
>so we'll allow you to use phone time until that point and if you use
>less then we're laughing."

I don't want to start an arguement here but...

<dons asbestos suit>
I'm not defending BT for 1 second, but let's be realistic here, the
telephone voice network is meant for voice calls that (generally) don't last
too long.

There are a finite (and generally very small) number of sockets at each
exchange, and if all the unmetered crowd are using the sockets 24x7 then the
1p/min crowd will never get a look-in.

Contrary to what most people believe, the internet is not 'free'. BT have to
pay for the fat pipes to carry your data up/down the country and over to
Europe and the US. This does not come cheap, and must be paid for ultimately
by the endusers.

BT are a company, and like all conpanies, are there solely to generate
profit for shareholders.
If BT offered unlimited voice calls for ?12/month it wouldn't be in business
for long.

When everyone paid 1p/min, the ISP and BT and Colt/Energis/etc. would all
making a profit.
I regularly paid ?70/month in internet call charges alone, and I was a
lightweight, I had friends who paid ?150+/month for net access.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the profit margin from ?20-?30
(never mind ?70-?150) is a serious step down, and BT (and most other telcos)
have huge debt mountains to sort out.

Ultimately, unmetered access is just that, access that is not metered by the
second like a standard voice call. If people used net access like they did
when it was 1p/min then it would still be ?9.99/month. but there are an
increasing number of the ?12/month crowd who are downloading P2P/newsgroup
warez by the gigabyte 24x7 with their PCs on autopilot, this a pushed the
backbone bandwidth required thru the roof, which costs, so something has got
to give. Hence the reducing number of hours.
If you're complaining 12 hours isn't enough, would it be fair to said you're
one of ones causing the problem?

Spreading even more doom and gloom, I can see this going in the other
direction too, to the ADSL crowd.
I can see BT/Ignite starting to impose quantity limits, just like in the US
and Oz. Where you may have a 512K line, but you're only allow to download
(for example) 5GB/month. Anymore and you are charged by the GB. May not be a
problem, for most, but downloading movie trailers @ 20MB a pop and listening
to internet radio stations and it all soon goes...

Oh, the joy of being in the digital age... :

<climbs out of hot asbestos suit>

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!