RE: Comfort vs. Others Summary - WAS X10 Heating & Security Automation - Another Newbie Q uestion!

  • To: "'ukha_d@xxxxxxx'" <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Comfort vs. Others Summary - WAS X10 Heating & Security Automation - Another Newbie Q uestion!
  • From: Scott Crowther <scrowther@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:28:41 +0100

Comfort is a great system (we have it ourselves in our building).
If you're into tinkering and are happy with programming, theres
no other alarm system thats a patch on it for Home Automation.

If NACOSS approval is important to you, whether for discount at insurers
(which is typically 5-10%), or for guaranteed poilice response, then you
won't
be able to use certain aspects of the system, including resetting the alarm
remotely.
Steve Gordon will be able to fill you in on this.

If you aren't worried about NACOSS approval, then our service gives you
remote access and alarm monitoring with alarms that are much less expensive
but won't give you as many Home Automation capabilities.
But then if you're looking to running a dedicated HA PC, it might
not be an issue for you.

One other issue that will open up a can of worms is stability.
Comfort and other dedicated alarm systems have inherant stablility
and in the event of a power cut they activate, so with monitoring
you know about it. I can't comment on PC based security systems -
maybe someone who has one could let us know whether PC failure is ever
a problem.

Again, hope this helps.

Scott Crowther
Intamac Systems Ltd