Re: Stylistics 1000, was: Re: [OT] Clik drive

Ok bought it from Ken Bush on ebay (id:kenbush) - he still has loads
Cost $30 on buy it now but the shipping was $40 ish (it is heavy)

Has a monochrome monitor and arrived with a charged battery but with no
stylus and no hard drive.
Still trying to source a stylus - its an active one so you cant use your
fingers.

It takes the 510's power supply.  Smaller than the 510 - same depth though.
Screen is really clear for b/w and backlit.

It takes pcmcia hard cards in a separate slot which is protected by a screw
down cover.  I've put a 4meg flash card in there and it boots (silently of
course) I'm looking for a simple dos or linux browser and tcpip stack
that'll live in 4meg of disk space.  It also has two more pcmcia ports.
Irda port on the top of the unit as opposed to the 510s at the bottom(other
ports as well but I've not got it here at work with me)

It has 8meg of ram and sockets similar to the 510 - when I upgraded the 510
(thanks tony) I was hoping to put the 8meg I took out of that into the 1000,
but when I do it doesnt boot (might be a bios setting - not checked yet)  I
also tried the memory I got off tony in it but amazingly it didnt fit (would
need to file the edges of the memory pcb by about 10th of a mm on each side.

I've since ordered 3 170meg pcmcia drives for ebay for $15 each - an $7
postage - so I should have several installations to test.  kenbush has some
340megs for about $15 at the moment (in auction though) and he quotes me $7
postage on these.

The general condition of the tablet I got was that it looked new - but had
one pcmcia cover missing.  Much better than the used condition of the 510s
(well my 510 anyway).

Thats as far as I got so far.

Matthew