RE: [OT] network problems guru req'd

Earlier in the month it was pointed out to me in no uncertain terms
that I was utterly, utterly wrong about needing IPX/SPX to enable
my computers to browse their network neighbourhoods.

On 1 May 2002, at 8:52, Chris Bond wrote:

> > I am still utterly convinced I need IPX/SPX for Network
> > Neighbourhood to work !!!
>
> Fraid not - TCPIP is all you need (with Client for Microsoft Network).
> TCIPIP is certainly a better stack that IPX/SPX

d8-)

Well, I've got rid of IPX/SPX and my network is nigh on ****ing
unusable !!!

Win98 can't browse anything in Net. Neigh. "Unable to browse the
network".

My Win98 machine can see one of the machines but not Server in
any way shape or form. Running \\Server gets an error. It can
ping it fine though!

Win2000 cannot see the Win98 machines in NN, only by running
\\<machine name>

Win2000 machines *can* see each other in their own NN though!
Hoorah! One success in a bleak world right now.

Not being able to browse the NN makes using the Fuji's a bit
awkward as I'm then having to make new folders/shortcuts
and/or use the virtual keyboard instead of browsing a nice
desktop icon.

I don't have that complicated a configuration: DHCP on Server (via
SyGate) which *is* allocating IP addresses to all clients from its
own fixed IP. All clients get their TCP/IP IP via server assignment.

For me, this is totally and utterly unacceptable, no matter how
many of you tell me otherwise! ! ! <BIG smiley grin>.

If somebody can tell me their secret, I'm listening, but until then, it's
back to IPX/SPX for me.

Stuart

--
Stuart Booth
Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

stuart@xxxxxxx

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!