Re: Comfort vs Ordinary alarms [was RE: Lots of Thank-You's...]

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Comfort vs Ordinary alarms [was RE: Lots of Thank-You's...]
  • From: "PatrickLidstone" <patrickl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 19:51:01 -0000

> All fair points Patrick.  Although I think it's worth pointing out
that off
> all the Comfort users at the meeting you were the only one who said
you
> wouldn't buy it again.

Agreed, I know there is a huge base of happy users, and I don't want
to harm Andrew's market. To reiterate the point, it's not that
comfort is a "bad" or "flawed" system, it's just that I've outgrown
it in the sense that it isn't sophisticated enough on it's own to
meet _my_ requirements. Once you supplement it with other kit, you
end up with duplication of function.

> Comfort is much more than a an alarm with a serial interface too.
It has
> lots of other features over and above a "standard" alarm like 2-way
IR,
> Digital Voice Mail boxes, Telephone control from anywhere in the
world,
> Doorphone to Mobile forwarding etc.

True. Comfort is a complete winner from this respect in environments
where there is only a single analogue phone line and, to a lesser
degree, situations where there is no broadband access. If I was
starting again, I'd probably opt for ISDN2e with a digital PBX and
TAPI interface. These will do doorphone type things and a lot more
besides, including sexy stuff like being able to display any
arbitrary text on the LCD's of individual phones, name lookup on
caller id, selective routing based on calling number and so on.

As ever, all IMO...

Patrick

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Height:   4 5 6 7  ft 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 in
Weight:
Sex:   F M