RE: WAP11

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: WAP11
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:52:00 -0000

<<That's the whole point of SNMP, so we don't have to put AP next to
server.
USB cables are usually 1.5 - 2 m.
So, we don't have much progress here.
I followed Stuart instructions and now my SNMP config can connect to AP and
see settings, but I cannot change anything.
Let's see what will Linksys say...>>

I updated the firmware and have the same issue - I can see all the settings
via SNMP, but cannot write any changes back.  This means that I can't add
authorised MAC addresses amongst other things.  I noted that Ian Oliver
posted that the read & read/write passwords were the wrong way round -
but
this didn't fix things either for me.

The WAP11 is now sitting quite happily in my loft next to my ADSL router,
and it's a pain to get USB access, as I'd have to retrieve it and plug it
into my desktop (laptop only has NT4 - no USB support).

Whilst not critical, SNMP access would be far more convenient :)

BTW, I LOVE wireless (great in laptops)....  and will be getting cards for
my ePODS and Fujis.  I don't see it as a replacement for CAT5, but as a
supplement for mobile devices and areas that are hard/impossible to cable.

James H