Multimedia keypad was Re: Someone asked about "nice" clock

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Multimedia keypad was Re: Someone asked about "nice" clock
  • From: "andy_powell_is" <ukha@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:18:51 -0000

The thing is, the VIOM is about the same price as a Basic stamp (or
Atom - which is faster, and a bit cheaper) ... Even with my meagre
electronics skills (skills  - lol) I can knock something up similar..
So, for the momnet I'll skip that ... but it does look quite
interesting ..

Anyhow, rather than go entirely down the same route as you I've (last
night) knocked up a very simple circuit and some connections. This
gives me the same effect (tho it doesn't look as pretty as yours!)
but with the ability to modify the way it works.

As an example, for the switches - just for this test - I basically
wired up 7 switches to 7 pins on the stamp. I'll change this so that
only 3 pins on the stamp are used.. which gives me another 12 pins to
play with (for example adding an LCD (or some flashing lights :P)

I still can't get over how good yours looks, how blindingly simple
the idea is and how effective the result!

I havent looked at girder yet, I was looking at rolling my own.. but
if girder takes away most of the hassle then it may be the best idea..

I'm just wondering what input Girder will 'like' .. at the moment I
send a single byte containing  the buttons pressed - ie if you
convert it to binary you get a 1 if a switch is pressed and a 0 if
not, but it can report more than one button being pressed at the same
time.

all in all the hardest part of the project appears to be getting a
nice faceplate and buttons!

Once again Paul - brilliant idea...

Andy

--- In ukha_d@y..., "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@h...> wrote:
> Oh yes indeed! - a very useful little unit..
>
> In facr far more than I need for this particular application, - I'm
only
> using a fraction of its capabilities, but still cheaper than most
of the
> alternatives...
>
> Thanks Keith!
>
> Paul G.
>

> >From: "Keith Doxey" <lists.diyha@b...>
> >To: <ukha_d@y...>
> >Subject: RE: [ukha_d] Re: Someone asked about "nice"
clock
> >Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 21:05:59 -0000
> >
> >I see the link for the VIOM came in useful then. :-)
> >Keith
> >
> >www.diyha.co.uk
> >www.kat5.tv

form
the
> >   deliberately weakened areas to "knock out" - because
the back
of the
> >plate
> >   wasn't flat positioning & mounting the switches would be
very
difficult,
> >and
> >   because it's also deliberately very weak in places, drilling it
out
> >without
> >   breaking would also be difficult too...
> >
> >   The metal plate is perfectly smooth and flat though!
> >
> >   And I'm sure there must be nicer momentary switches available,
-
I might
> >   still try to swap them over for the chrome versions when they
become
> >   available.
> >
> >   Paul G.
> >

> >   >From: "andy_powell_is" <ukha@b...>