RE: recessed lights

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: recessed lights
  • From: "James Hoye" <james.hoye@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:12:10 -0000

<<I have ceiling mounted lights in corridor, whose glass is broken.
Doors or
utility room give just 5cm gap between them and ceiling, and they hit
ceiling ligth, of course.
Therefore, I planned to put recessed lights instead and obvious choice was
some halogen lights.
However, ceiling is suspended just 5 cm (thickness of wooden battens) and
when I checked specs of halogen lights, they all require 15 cm or more for
heat dissipation.
Of course, I don't want to cause the fire, so I'm now considering some
half-recessed lights, but it seems that specs are the same.
I heard that there are some recessed lights that don't dissipate that much
heat that could be fitted, but I couldn't find any.
Of course, I would like them to be regulated by X10 and manually from 3
switches (dimmers), so please take that into account. I cannot put any
extra
wires except in the ceiling next to the light, so probably cannot put DIN
module.
Any ideas?>>

Hmmm, a difficult one.  20w halogen cabinet downlights might work - these
are designed for surface mounting, and are only 15mm deep.

http://www.screwfix.com/product.phtml?4246

I don't know of any mains rated versions - but if you can find a small
enough dimmable transformer you should be able to work around.  Available
in
chrome & brass too.

James H