RE: Ring main question

Paul Helliwell [mailto:g0kao@xxxxxxx]
wrote:
> If you are still not sure then I strongly recommend that you find a
> suitably qualified electrician to check it out properly.
> Most good electricians are registered with the Joint Industry Board
> for the Electrical Contracting Industry and may also be registered
> withe the NICEIC which is an Inspection authority that inspects work
> carried out by Electricians.
> If  you can find one by recommendation that is even better.

Thanks.  My friend is going to get a qualified electrician in to check
out his fusebox etc.  I pressume it will be someone by recommendation,
but I'll pass on the info about being registered etc.

> Sorry for the long post guys but I feel that where electrics are
> concerned it should be done properly.

Thats the great thing about this group, everyones got there own ideas,
knowledge and suggestions.  I tend to prefer to find out as much as I
can about things, and only do them myself if I'm 100% sure I know what
I'm doing.  I have *little* trust when it comes to getting people in
to do things, but sometimes thats the best thing to do.  At least if I
have some knowledge I can make sure the contractor does a good job, and
be able to talk to him about the things I'm unsure on.

> DO NOT USE A BUZZER for this testing. You may get false readings due
> to partial short circuits that may exist in the circuit.

OK.

After ensuring all the mains was off, I would have used my digital
Multi-meter to check the resistance between the lives and then
the neutrals and earth for each of the cables terminating at the
box. Surley there shouldn't be any partial short circuits between
two different rings.  If there was I would have given up.

> I am a Qualified Electrician and the only safe way to test this out
> properly is with the use of an insulation tester. This generates a
> approx 500 volts so ENSURE THAT ALL PLUGS REMOVED FROM SOCKETS
> otherwise appliance may get damaged and you may also get false
> readings. There is another tester which is used to test Earth Loop
> Impedance and again all appliances should be removed from sockets.

Thanks.  Out of interest how easy is it to ensure all the plugs are
removed from the sockets for this test.  Theres bound to be one plug
you forget.

--
/ ___   / /  /  / __    / _____ HOME: chas@xxxxxxx

If you have received this email in error please let us know by e-mail reply
and delete it from your system; you may not copy this message or disclose
its contents to anyone.  Please note that any views or opinions presented
in
this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
those of MMT Computing plc.  Finally, the recipient should check this email
and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  MMT Computing plc accepts
no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.