Re: In car PC with LCD question

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: In car PC with LCD question
  • From: "John Hegarty" <john@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:04:37 -0000

Keith,

Many thanks for the reply.

I checked the laptop and it does show 50Hz for the TV display and
60 for the built in LCD. Therefore I think it maybe the LCD display
that's duff - I will see if I can take it back to the shop (this
time with my laptop to test another one :-) ).

I take on what you say about the resolution of the LCD. I did some
experiments using a 640 x 480 resolution on my TV with large fonts.
My guess was that it would be sufficient for low res GPS using Route
66. But even with a black and white picture on this 12v LCD I am now
starting to think that the resolution just isn't going to cut it :-(

If I don't have any luck with the external screen I am going to take
the laptop apart and see what the interface is between motherboard
and its screen. If its simple (i.e. only a few wires) I am going to
try extending it and see how long a cable it will cope with before
the picture gets unusable.

In the mean time, there must be a huge market for 12v, VGA , small
screen, LCD's ???

Best regards,

John.

---