Fw: Ring main question

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Fw: Ring main question
  • From: "Paul Helliwell" <g0kao@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:50:24 -0000

DO NOT USE A BUZZER for this testing. You may get false readings due to
partial short circuits that may exist in the circuit.

I am a Qualified Electrician and the only safe way to test this out
properly
is with the use of an insulation tester. This generates a approx 500 volts
so ENSURE THAT ALL PLUGS REMOVED FROM SOCKETS otherwise appliance may get
damaged and you may also get false readings. There is another tester which
is used to test Earth Loop Impedance and again all appliances should be
removed from sockets.

If you are still not sure then I strongly recommend that you find a
suitably
qualified electrician to check it out properly. Most good electricians are
registered with the Joint Industry Board for the Electrical Contracting
Industry and may also be registered withe the NICEIC which is an Inspection
authority that inspects work carried out by Electricians. If you can find
one by recommendation that is even better.

Sorry for the long post guys but I feel that where electrics are concerned
it should be done properly.

Paul H