Radiator efficiency...

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Radiator efficiency...
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul_gordon@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 11:43:30 +0000

Can anyone tell me if a chromed radiator might reasonably be expected to
radiate heat less efficiently than a white one, and if so, to what degree?

SWMBO is now complaining that the new chromed towel rail radiator fitted in
the bathroom does not warm the room up sufficiently, and certainly does not
seem to "give off" (her words) as much heat into the room as the
similar
sized white one we have in the bedroom. (even though the radiator itself
does get scalding hot)

Both rads are of a similar size/surface area (don't have the exact specs to
hand), and apart from the finish colour are very similar to each other.

I'm now getting grief from SWMBO that she wants an addiional heating source
in the bathroom... - this comes just days after completing the *major*
remodelling of the room, - so it's going to be too disruptive to put in
underfloor or anything like that. The only additional heating that would be
easy to retrofit would be something in the loft area venting in through the
ceiling, or something in the dead space under the bath (not ideal). The
other alternaltive is to replace the current radiator with a larger one....

Anyone got any bright ideas?

cheers chaps...

Paul G.

Oh, and just to get an on-topic element into this, let me just add that the
radiator that is currently fitted is dual-fuel, and the electric element is
controlled by an AD10 module.... :-)