RE: Will I ever learn !!

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Will I ever learn !!
  • From: "Nikola Kasic" <nikola@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 11:57:25 -0000

Here is what I do:

I have two 40GB disks on my server.
They are partitioned to 3GB and the rest.
On 3GB partition (c: drive) there are system and program files installed (files that can be obtained from other sources).
On the 37 GB partition there are my documents (files that cannot be obtatined from anyone else, so it they're gone, they are gone forewer). My documents and Settings folder is also there.
I use software RAID on Win 2000 for both partitions. Had no problems with that in last 2 years.
c: partition is small enough to fit onto CD, compressed and Ghosted, and when it cannot any more (because ghost saves only used space), then it can store it on two CDs.
It won't protect me against viruses (I use antivirus software for that), but it will protect me from hard disk crash (mirroring) that already happened to me.
And it will protect me from installing some dodgy drivers that will corrupt Windows and I'll have to install everything again. (Ghosting). That happened as well.

By the way, I don't store ghost files on CDs, but I have HDD caddies (£10) and I save them on external HDD. I found it easier and simpler than burning CDs.

Cheers,
Nik