RE: ADSL/ZoneAlarmPro 101

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: ADSL/ZoneAlarmPro 101
  • From: "Lee Varga" <lee@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 23:25:57 -0000

Pedro,

Port 80 is the HTTP port, it's the port that HTTP data (webpages) travels
down from a webserver to a browser. Port 21 is the FTP port - it's what FTP
data travels down from an FTP server to an FTP client. There are thousands
of ports - some with specific jobs, some used but not registered.

Netbios (port 137 & 138) is a windows service that lets machine
advertise
themselves on a lan to share resources - a common problem that they can
advertise this info to the whole of the internet - a very bad thing(tm).

TCP/UDP are types of data that travel down these ports.
ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol) not easy to explain but its extra
support for TCP/IP allowing the sending of packets containing error and
info
msgs.

Not sure about the ZA Pro as I've only used the freebie version - but it's
firewall built for the web non-cognoscenti. It can't open specific ports,
what it can do is lower its shields a bit to expose your servers to the net
connection.
On the freebie version - go to the Security tab, and lower the Internet
slider to medium. Then you should be able to see your server.

If you have a dynamic IP address - this will change every so often - so
you'll need to use a service like www.dyndns.org and small client program
on
the server. The webite explains it all.

For more info on ports and the common ones used by nasties on the net have
look at  http://www.networkice.com/advice/Exploits/Ports/

Phew...
Lee.

--------------
Subject: [ukha_d] ADSL/ZoneAlarmPro 101

Well I finally got ADSL and decided that since I now have 24/7 internet I
need to keep the badies out!  I have installed and am very happy with Zone
Alarm Pro BUT (theres always a BUT) I can't figure out how to allow
specific
ports or fundamentally what HTTP 80 is.  Is it a
TCP/UDP/ICMP/IGMP/NETBIOS??
I can open up these specific ports but since I don't know which one relates
to http:80 or ftp:21 I don't know which to open.

Could some kind soul let me know so I can serve the cummunity with my
homeseer pages ;-)

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx