OT : New Gadget for Car - Can you see the HA use ?

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: OT : New Gadget for Car - Can you see the HA use ?
  • From: "geraintuk" <geraintwilliams_uk@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 22:51:14 -0000

Just been looking at a new product to hit the market.

My other passion besides HA and IT, is modifying cars, and I love to=20
integrate any technology into them.

There is a new product out call TrakM8 (www.trakm8.com).

Basically it is an interface in the car for GPRS and GSM (so=20
requires a SIM card).

It allows you to use the interface to monitor your car remotely for=20
security purposes. You can also keep an eye on how far it's been=20
driven, and at what speed (great if you loan the car etc).
It uses GSM to "ringping" the car, so the only running cost is
the=20
SMS text messages.

There are TWO parts I particulary like though.
Firstly, it has GPRS, so you can plug an IPAQ or laptop in and use=20
Autoroute for navigation.
Secondly, you can utilise IPAQ or laptop to connect to the internet=20
or point to point to home network. (For this you require a DATA=20
capable SIM, rather than a pay per use one).

Seems to do a lot of functionality for a rather low price of =A3330=20
(excluding SIM).
I was going to purchase an RAC Trackstar, but at =A3650, it's a lot of=20
money, whereas this little beauty also adds navigation etc.

Of course, we would be able to use IPAQ's in the car to connect to=20
home security cameras or homeseer on the way back from office to=20
trigger off manual events. Nice.

Anyway, worth a look, and no, i'm not affiliated to them in any way.

Just need to get the beast back now from engine rebuild. 3 more=20
months and counting !!!!

Regards
Geraint.