Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 1:24 AM
Subject: [ukha_d] Advertising Trojans (Virus Removal).

    Well, my machine was getting slower and slower and my internet connection was showing more and more activity and zone alarm when installed threw up so many warnings it was a joke... and I was getting loads of ever increasing spam / targeted emails. But Norton Anti Virus gave me a clean bill of health.

    Then I found a little utility called Ad-aware by LavaSoft - http://lavasoftusa.com . I have no connection with this company. I notice Andrew provides a link too on his Comfort site.

    What this program does is scans you system and routes out a load of 'spyware' programs that have been placed on your system as hidden extra installs by usually 'free' software (this is how they get some money). These programs do things like underline links on words in web pages providing links to their sites e.g. the word camera underlined back to www.buyacamera.com . They also report back on sites you visit etc etc, or just plain hijack your email address - usually though all for advertising purposes & not maliciously. DoubleClik is a well known perpetrator I think.

    Anyway a scan of my machine was a real eye opener !!! How did all that get there ! I have now removed all the offending stuff (39 items !) and my machine is all whizzy again and my network link much quieter. More info on the whole problem is available here http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2001/08/02/parasite_capital/index1.html.

    I had heard of this issue before but I had never realised how bad it was and that it was on my machine !! I would recommend having a go with this (I hope it is not itself a trojan !). You need the latest signature file (ref # 041-02-02-2002) as well as the one in the 5.62 version is supreceded. Sorry if I'm harping on about something you all know and have checked but it has made such a difference here I am delighted. BTW It was mainly a Limewire install that put it all on my system I think.

    Kevin             - don't suppose I can get off the email/spam lists though now.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor