RE: Home Network for the boss!

Aaaarggh....

The 2200USB is a pile of junk, KISS does not involve using two pieces of
junk together...

The Alcatel USB frog is just about OK, for an hours use surfing every
night, but as a 24/7 net connection - forget it.

The 2200USB claims to be the total answer (see T&Cs below), but many on
usenet/bbs have had serious problems with it.

Do the job properly, buy ADSL modem/router. After much angsting, I finally
bought an Asus 6000EV, rock solid piece of kit well supported by
www.solwise.co.uk . It staying up for weeks at time, (only rebooted by me
fiddling and my 2yr old playing). It has a console mode for serious
tinkering and webserver front end for the simple stuff.

But it still costs less than the 2200USB, never mind £90 for the frog if
you have to buy one.

Many people have worried alot about BT/Ignites T&Cs but no one has ever
been challenged about what hardware they are running to my knowledge.

Just my £2/worth.
Lee.

> I agree that this is a good solution, having installed two of them
> recently and sorted out a VPN between them with bugger all hassle.
> In fact - I got a VPN from 2200-2200 working _and_ a VPN from an XP
> machine on a cable modem network to a 2200 working - unusually easy to
> do!
>
> The only thing with the 2200USB is that you have to buy the frog or
> some other such ADSL modem to plug into it, so initial costs may be
> relatively high.
> The advantage is you are not breaking any T&C about what
can/cannot be
> connected to the ADSL line, as it is the ISP supplied frog (unless you
> go for wires only of course).
>
> If nothing else, from the hassle-free point of view, I would still
> recommend this route.  I have had enough problems in the past
> supporting PC systems that I am loathe to use software solutions where
> a decent dedicated hardware solution will work better.
> Plus, you don't have to rely on a server pc or whatever being switched
> on all the time to do your DHCP etc for you.  Not necessarily a
problem
> as you may have a server on all the time, but one less thing to go
> wrong!
>
> This is just IMHO of course,
>

> Tony

configurations.

>> and it makes it simple to put ADSL onto a Lan, as it doesn't
>> rely on a PC
>> being live to do the sharing.
>>
>> Daniel

ADSL