Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Showshifter & me - all your base belong to us

> Agreed, but for mass-market appeal this is not an option and
> TiVo/Sky+/Replay all work out of the box, which is the point I was
> making.

I think everyone agrees there.  SS is *not* for your average user.

> I like to let PC's do PC things and leave the rest of the devices to do
> what they are good at and what they where intended to do.

I think that was the point of the post.  Where you have room for just one
box, the only box which will do everything is a PC.  BTW, this is going to
sound insulting to some, and for this, I apologise, but, I've noticed that
the older generation (by this, I mean most people over 40, and some in their
30s - I'm early 20s, so anything over 25 is old!) don't like
multi-functional boxes.  There seems to be this thought that a box can only
do one thing at a time.  Where you can do multiple things with one box just
as well as a multitude of boxes (which is not the case with Tivo, ATM), why
not?  It's efficient.

> Fair enough, stick with SS then. Me I like my "noddy" point and click
> TiVo for the moment as does SWMBO which is even more to the point. ;-)

Agreed.  Tivo is very good at what it does, and better than SS at the
moment, especially for a plug-n-play device.  Whether it'll remain this way
is to be seen.

Andy

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor