Re: Showshifter vs. Tivo - the final score, Sky + Wins

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Showshifter vs. Tivo - the final score, Sky + Wins
  • From: Andy Laurence <andy@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 16:33:20 +0100

> If I can build a Showshifter PC for =A3400 (cost of Tivo + Sub), then = I'm
> interested....

I'm a bit behind here, but ....

Case
1U Maplin case
<no link - site down>
=A335

Mobo & CPU
Via board
http://ebuyer.com/customer/= products/index.html?action=3Dc2VsZWN0X3Byb2R1Y3Rfb3ZlcnZpZXc=3D&product= _uid=3D34732
=A381.65 +VAT (=A395.94)

RAM
256MB
http://www.ebuyer.com/c= ustomer/products/index.html?action=3Dc2VsZWN0X3Byb2R1Y3Rfb3ZlcnZpZXc=3D&= ;product_uid=3D16422
=A328.77

HDD
Maxtor 5400rpm 80GB
http://www.ebuyer.com/c= ustomer/products/index.html?action=3Dc2VsZWN0X3Byb2R1Y3Rfb3ZlcnZpZXc=3D&= ;product_uid=3D25161
=A398.29

TV Card
PCI TV/radio card
http://www.ebuyer.com/c= ustomer/products/index.html?action=3Dc2VsZWN0X3Byb2R1Y3Rfb3ZlcnZpZXc=3D&= ;product_uid=3D33705
=A334.02 +VAT (=A339.97)

Total dent in wallet?
=A3297.97

That machine will run fast enough to put SS to good use, and is still under=
=A3300.  As a bonus, it fits in a 19" rack.  Of course, you = need to add
software to this price, which at =A330 for a license of Win98, doesn't add = up
to much.  It's still under =A3400, and you can upgrade/break things at= your
leisure.

I've not searched much for cheap bits and pieces, but I'm sure you could ha= ck
together something for around the =A3200-220 mark, or purchase second-hand = for
=A3150odd.

Andy

Yahoo! Groups Spons= or
3D""