RE: Linux Recommendations

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Linux Recommendations
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:32:16 +0100

Point A:
Linux Distributions are free to pass on: when you buy RedHat, or Debian or
SuSe, you buy the box, CD, Manual, and usually some tech support for 30 days
or something. You don't acually pay for O/S (or at least, not more than a
token amount)

the key difference is in what comes next: with a Micro$oft product, you buy
it, install it on a single PC, anything else is "piracy". With your shiny
new RedHat CD, you can install an office of 100 PC systems, which is not
only legal, but encouraged.

also, if you want to give it to your mate, so he can install his office too,
thats again fine with the licence. The only real restriction is that you
have o pass on the source CD too, not just the binaries one, so your mate
could (if he was so inclined) alter and recompile any of the code to suit
his own needs a little better..

Point B:
Depends on your use. I blow the trumpet for SME Server (www.e-smith.org) as
a great small network server. It's RedHAt 7.1 with fancy management built
in, so should be fairly easy to use for most things :)

Point C:
Pass. I rarely add new toys to Linux builds, as I tend to use them as stable
servers rather than main PCs.

Ian.